10.16.2008

Food :: Pie or side?

Pie, Pie, me oh my, oh how I love my green bean pie. Remember those lyrics that Andie McDowell sang in the movie Michael (the movie about the angel played by John Travolta.) Now whenever the word "Pie" comes to mind, so does the song. Because... Oh how I do love pie! Pie time is now, too, when fall has arrived and the temperature has dropped and the kitchen is cozy and warm with the spicy aroma of baking pies. I saw this recipe for, would you believe it, Green Bean Pie, and have to try it. Question is, is it a main dish pie pie or a pie side pie? I think thats a heck of a lot of work if it's just a side dish. But then most cooking is a lot of work when you consider all the love and time you put into your cooking, and the family scarfs it down in ten minutes or less. So here's that recipe I found. Hey, if it's a main dish pie, I might tackle it - maybe throw in a little chicken and some white wine ;)

Green Bean Mushroom Pie


Fresh green bean flavor stands out in this pretty lattice-topped pie.
A flaky golden crust holds the savory bean, mushroom and cream cheese filling.

Ingredients
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2-1/2 cups chopped onions
6 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup milk

CRUST:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter or margarine
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 egg
1 tablespoon whipping cream
Go here for the rest of the Green Bean Mushroom Pie Recipe

Other Related Posts



0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=5f161539492888cd4f85ea9e137c404c