4.29.2009

my art:: Mount Vernon View

I've been painting! This my latest, titled "Mount Vernon View".


 The glorious panoramic view of George Washington's stately home at Mount Vernon in Virginia has always been a popular subject for artists. I've seen several renditions of this view, from known artists like Edward Savage, Eastman Johnson, and William Thompson Russell Smith to obscure Sunday Painters that we will never know the names of yet who's work is just as important in merit. Infact my painting was inspired by a watercolor painted in 1942 by amateur artist Susan Whitcomb after the famous Alexander Robertson engraving "Mount Vernon in Virginia" when she attended the Vermont Literary and Scientific Institution. Reading up on this painting in my fav folk art book, The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Collection, I am amazed at the price of an education back then.   $1.00 per semester! I loved  Whitcomb's naive and stylized take on Robertson's engraving and turned it into my own, a bit more colorful, version.

Purchase my painting "Mount Vernon View" on Etsy along with my other originals and Wendy Presseisen Prints.

Other Related Posts



0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=5f161539492888cd4f85ea9e137c404c